Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Marathon for Callie

When I first got the news that my granddaughter, Callie, had been diagnosed with SMA, I was torn with many emotions.  I wanted so much for her to be able to run and play.  One of my first thoughts was that I would gladly give my legs if it would help her to walk.  When I heard that Josh's cousin, Jessica, had found an organization that could possibly benefit Callie, and that she had planned to run a marathon to raise money for SMA research, I asked her if it would be okay for me to join her.  So, here I go!  I have had a dream in the back of my mind to run a marathon before I turn 50, but I haven't ever really made the commitment.  Now I have the motivation and the desire.  I hope to use my legs to help in the fight against SMA for Callie and other children like her.

Some people have asked me why I run.  It is hard to explain, but ever since I started running a few years ago, I have had such a love for it.  I run when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I'm stressed, when I'm worried, when I need time to think or when I just want to be outside.  I hate it when it's a beautiful day outside (a great day for running) and I am too busy to get in a run!  I am not a competitive runner by any means, but I love participating with other runners in a race for a good cause. There is such a great feeling when you're out there, giving your best.  I have a ways to go to be ready for a full marathon.  It will be challenging, but I am excited (and yes, a bit nervous) to make this a reality. 

I hope that my dedication and efforts in preparing for this marathon will inspire others.  Maybe you will want to try running for yourself.  Maybe you will have a desire to donate to the SMA research.  Maybe you will find some other way to help children with disabilities.  Whatever it is that you can do, just do something!  I believe that a little effort from many people can make a big impact.

I can't even begin to express my love for sweet, precious little Callie.  She came to our family at a time when we were experiencing much stress.  I often would hold her and feel so much comfort and peace, sort of a healing.  Now I can only hope and pray for that same peace and healing in her behalf.

3 comments:

  1. So excited to see you run your first marathon! You're going to do great and as she gets older it will be awesome to tell Callie that she was the reason you took the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I love you. I got chills reading this post. Good luck, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO, GO, GO G-ma Jenn!!! No really, I think it's great what you're doing and I think it's special that you share running with David. Very cool. Good luck with your training. Keep us posted on how everything is going. We're paying attention here in TX and we're keeping sweet Callie and all of you guys in our prayers. Love you!!

    Stephanie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete